Wednesday, May 5, 2010

diy panniers

I just got a new bike... and, then, a new rear rack.  So now I'm looking for some panniers and realizing that I don't like much of what's out there.  Since it's an Axiom rack, I figured I'd check out some of the Axiom bags other bike co-op members seem to like.  These Monsoons looked great on our recent Tour de Kickapoo, but I don't know if I like them enough to drop one of those newfangled hundred dollar bills on them.  I'm into these grocery bags on Etsy.com, but like a lot of stuff on Etsy my second thought was "I could make that."

So I'm gonna try!  I'm reading up on plans for diy panniers found through everybody's favorite subject supposed to know, google.com, and lucky for you I'm sharing what I've found so far:

Here's the primary source, from a research scientist who presents the plans for his panniers exactly like you'd expect a research scientist would: using LATEX and featuring an abstract!  (When and if I perfect mine, I'll present the plans using the stupid conventional humanities-speak-title.)  From there, I discovered some other plans:
Updates on my panniers coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. Woot! Bag paniers for the win!
    Hahah the plans of the research scientist are pretty funny, they make me think I could present them as my thesis anytime :P (not really, but it would surely be fun).

    I was inspired by some paniers I saw online and me and my dad sewed a lovely pair of canvas roll-up paniers :)
    Details here: http://www.bit-of-green.com/nats/crafts-extreme-bike-makeover-roll-up-paniers

    I like it so much when I see people having DIY items on their bikes; it gives the bike so much personality, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make my own too - I can't afford the fancy ones!

    Post pics of the ones you made!

    ReplyDelete