Thursday, August 19, 2010

e-bikes in chicago!

Today, an entrepreneurship blog at Crain's Chicago Business featured a long interview with John LaStarge, owner of Chicago Electric Bicycles.

The business started when LaStarge converted a mountain bike into an e-bike, then sold it to a relative.  A year later, Chicago Electric Bicycles offers four different e-bikes.

In the interview, LaStarge talks about the motive and means behind his e-bike business:
In the spring of 2008, gas prices shot up to about $4.50 a gallon in Chicago and angry CTA commuters were complaining about bad service and high costs. I thought: there’s got to be another way to get around this city. I’ve always loved bicycles, so I looked up electric bikes online and bought one from overseas. The battery only lasted three months and they didn’t offer any services or support. So I decided to build my own.
 Read more over at Enterprise City.

1 comment: