Friday, August 13, 2010

Traveling to Bike!Bike!

Hey folks,

Sorry for being tardy with the update posts this weekend. We don't have WiFi available at any of the Bike!Bike! venues or at the house we're staying at, which makes updating the blog fairly difficult. I'm currently encamped at a Toronto Public Library location and skipping the Saturday 2:30-4:00 p.m. workshops in order to get caught up a little bit.  Even that's not going too smoothly, as the photos that I'd uploaded from Carl's camera are nowhere to be found. Alas, we'll make do with mine, which didn't include any en-route photos. Here's what I should have posted yesterday about our travels to Toronto:

Carl successfully acquired a passport card in Chicago on Thursday, and I picked him up in the thriving burg of Michigan City, Indiana, after I got off work. Our drive through Michigan was pretty uneventful, unless you count the seemingly endless bouts of road construction that we encountered. We stopped for a drink at the Lansing, Michigan, Meijer and proceeded to cross the border at Sarnia, Ontario, at the southern tip of Lake Huron:


The crossing was pretty smooth (the toll for the bridge was $3) and the border officials didn't give us any grief. All told it took maybe five minutes. 

This is just my second trip to Canada, and the only time that I've stayed more that just a few hours, so it's all new to me. There seems to be a Tim Horton's restaurant at every exit on the highway (and there's one right across the street from the library as I type this).

The part of Ontario surrounding Sarnia is known as the Chemical Valley, I believe from my Google exploits, but soon we were out of the developed area and onto a dark, lightly-traveled highway at that point in the night (it was well after midnight). We made it to the outskirts of London, Ontario, before we decided to call it a night at 2:30 a.m. We found a city park and Carl set up his sleeping bag, while I slept in the front seat of the car.

Just a few scant hours later, we arose and got on the road by 6:30 a.m. We stopped at a Traditional Pancake House (the only non-Tim Horton's breakfast option available at the exit we chose) and filled up on breakfast, and I filled up with petrol. Gas was $1.05 per litre (about equivalent to $4 per gallon).

I drove the last couple hours in Toronto with no problems, and we found the Bike Pirates shop pretty easily. Carl brought his Garmin, which was helpful once we needed to get around the city. I'll close with this shot of a bike bridge near the shores of Lake Ontario:

No comments:

Post a Comment